The cardiovascular system is a body-wide system that includes the blood, heart, and blood vessels. These organs work together to circulate blood throughout the body.
The functions of this system include:
- Pumping blood through blood vessels
- Delivering nutrients, hormones, and oxygen to cells
- Carrying waste products and carbon dioxide away from cells
- Assisting in the regulation of blood pressure during rest and work states
- Formation of a blood clot to reduce blood loss
Figure 1: The cardiovascular system.